If you have been battling dandruff unsuccessfully for some time after trying out all sorts of OTC products, it’s time to try out some effective home remedies. Also understanding what dandruff is and how to prevent and control it, will give you a better understanding of how to get rid of dandruff.
Dandruff is basically a skin infection caused by the fungus malassezia which under normal conditions resides peacefully on the human scalp. When certain conditions are unsuitable it starts to multiply rapidly which in turn irritates the skin into increasing the number of scalp cells. This results in dandruff which is characterized by the shedding of these excess cells.
For individuals with oily scalp, the cells attach in clumps to the scalp due to oil produced by the hair follicles. When a person has dry scalp it results in the cells falling on the shoulders, face, skin, clothing etc of the person; like snowflakes or white powder. In general it is easier to get rid of dry dandruff. Dandruff also causes an itching sensation which might lead to scratching the scalp and causing harm and secondary infection of the scalp. It might lead to skin infections and hair loss too. Dandruff can also be passed on from one person to another, so sharing towels, combs, or coming in intimate contact with a person suffering from dandruff can also lead to it.
Causes Of Dandruff
There are a lot of factors that can trigger dandruff:
1. Improper diet which includes a lot of spicy and fried stuff and is deficient in minerals like zinc and calcium
2. Constipation and lack of fibre in diet
3. Infection due to yeast/fungus
4. Low immunity levels and general exhaustion and mental stress
5. Excessive use of hair products and harsh shampoos which strip the scalp of oil or irritates it
6. Hair exposure to pollution and extreme temperature
Instead of using artificial products opt for natural home made products which are not harmful to the scalp and helps in both banishing dandruff as well as healing the scalp. Use the following preparations of oils for massage. This helps in stimulating the scalp as well as removing dandruff:
1. Coconut oil mixed with lime juice can be heated mildly and applied with cotton balls to the scalp.
2. Olive or sesame oil can be warmed up and applied.
3. A mixture of almond oil and olive oil is beneficial for preventing dandruff.
4. Coconut oil can be mixed with a little bit of black pepper and massaged.
5. When washing hair always use warm water as this is good for eradicating dandruff.
Instead of cosmetic shampoos you can use ritha or shikakai as a hair-wash.
After shampooing hair you can use the following rinses to help prevent dandruff or lessen it-
1. Using fresh juice of a lemon as an after wash rinse. This also gives a shine to hair.
2. Using cider vinegar mixed with water in the ratio 1:3
The Following Hair-Packs Are Tried And Tested Home Remedies For Dandruff-
Fenugreek Seeds (methi) Treatment
For dry dandruff treatment, take 3 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds and soak in a bowl of water overnight. The next day make a paste of the seeds and apply to scalp and hair. Wash with shikakai or reetha(soap-nut) after half an hour. Use lime juice rinse afterwards. This treatment can be done twice in a week to get rid of dandruff and is very effective.
Snake Gourd Treatment
Extract the juice of snake gourd and mix with beet juice and apply on scalp. This is another useful remedy.
Photo Credit: Olivecocomag.com
This is effective in oily dandruff. Use juice of 1 lemon and apply to scalp and leave for half an hour. Rinse off with water. This helps in removing excess oil build up and removing dandruff. Fuller’s earth (multani mitti) and lime juice can be mixed and used as a paste to be applied. This helps in both cleansing the dead cells and extra oil on the scalp. Try this treatment at least once a week.
Green Gram Treatment
Green gram powder mixed with curd and applied to scalp is a powerful remedy.
Whole beets boiled in water and strained and applied to scalp helps prevent hairfall and also dandruff. A hair pack of beetroot and henna or curd or cider vinegar can also be applied. Curd kept outside for a few days and applied to scalp also helps as the fermented curd helps destroy fungus or infection and cleanses the scalp.
Along with treatments you should also stick to a balanced diet to keep your internal system clean to avoid deficiencies and constipation.
1. Try to have lots of fresh fruits and water
2. Citrus fruits and fruits which are processed should be avoided
3. Fibre rich food should be in taken
4. Caffeine, smoking, spicy food, extra sugar, red meat and processed food should be avoided
Precautions To Be Followed
1. Hair and scalp should be always kept clean. If needed shampoo hair with homemade natural shampoos everyday to avoid dead cell and oil buildup.
2. Brush hair everyday and also massage hair with above mentioned oils regularly. This promotes circulation and improves hair growth.
3. Avoid dust and heat exposure. But try to dry hair naturally by exposing to sunlight. Sunlight kills yeast or other infection and also is a better and gentler way to dry hair than using a dryer.
4. Keep combs, towels and personal items clean and maintain personal hygiene
5. Exercise regularly to maintain good health and build immunity levels
6. Get the required amount of 7-8 hours of sleep to avoid exhaustion
7. Do not share combs, towels, personal stuff with people and avoid intimate contact with people who have dandruff.
Dandruff can most definitely be totally got rid of and prevented from recurring by following these tips. You no longer have to be embarrassed and irritated by the flakes or itching. By trying these natural remedies you will not only be able to say goodbye to dandruff but also be able to have lustrous gorgeous hair that will be the envy of all.