The miscarriage happens even before the egg has had the opportunity to implant itself in the womb. Finding out that they have miscarried even before the conformation of pregnancy can be a complete shock and depressing news for many women. Some women might test positive for pregnancy initially but a later test will show negative results.
How To Recognize The Signs Of Chemical Pregnancy?
A pregnancy test will read positive even before the woman has had her periods. In many cases of chemical pregnancy women do not even know that they were pregnant.
Signs Of Chemical Pregnancy:
1. Beginning Of Menstruation: If you tested positive for pregnancy you might start menstruating a day or two after the test. Sometimes the periods begin on their due date. According to medical history, before the advent of home pregnancy kits women weren’t even aware if they suffered from chemical pregnancies. In recent times the rate of chemical pregnancy is as high as 70 percent.
2. Low HCG Count: In chemical pregnancies the hormone hCG decreases in level unlike in healthy pregnancies where it increases. In fact, under normal circumstances the level of hormone doubles every 48 hours in women who are pregnant and are going to carry the pregnancy full-term. Confirmation tests should be done 48 hours apart by testing for the hCG level in the woman’s body.
3. Different Pregnancy Test Results: Pregnancy home tests allow a woman to confirm pregnancy as early as a week after having unprotected sexual intercourse. The test will read positive if the egg has fertilized; the results of the test do not depend on the egg implanting itself in the uterus. If a second pregnancy test done a few days later shows negative results, it means that you have suffered from chemical pregnancy.
4. Check The Timeframe: Go back to the dates when you had sexual intercourse and tested positive for pregnancy after performing the test. If you get your periods after the positive test results you have had chemical pregnancy. However, if you had sex after your ovulation date then you were most likely not pregnant.
5. Pregnancy Test: Take two pregnancy tests five days apart to be sure whether you are pregnant or not. If the first test reads negative then do the second test the very next day; however, if the first test reads positive then the second test must be done after 5 days for proper confirmation of the pregnancy.
6. Check The Signs Of Pregnancy:Many times the signs of pregnancy aren’t felt during the first couple of months. However, you could still check for fatigue, tender breasts and nausea which are the typical signs of pregnancy. If you have not had the symptoms yet tested positive for pregnancy then you most likely had chemical pregnancy. In some cases light cramping and spotting also follow the miscarriage which is seen as period.
7. In some cases of chemical pregnancy the period arrives a little later than normal. If you miscarry early on during the pregnancy, your next period will begin a week after the miscarriage. The period will be heavy and last for longer than five days. This is when the women realize that what they are eliminating are fetal tissues and not normal uterus lining.
8. You must talk to your friends and family members to determine what you are experiencing is normal or not. Many women have gone through the travails of chemical pregnancy without realizing their condition.
Treatment For Chemical Pregnancy:
Photo Credit: Bebesmundo.com
Dealing with chemical pregnancy is very difficult especially if you’ve been trying to conceive. You must not feel guilty about the miscarrying the pregnancy you dint know about. Many women suffer from guilt because they feel that had they known about the pregnancy they could have saved the miscarriage.
Once you have doubts about your pregnancy you must immediately see a doctor. The doctor will be able to give a medical confirmation of the miscarriage. The doctor will also check for the hCG levels which should have returned to normal after the loss of pregnancy. The doctor will check for need of dilatation and curettage. The procedure is performed in cases of incomplete miscarriage.
The patient is given general anesthesia and the uterus is dilated. Then using surgical procedure the remains of the miscarriage are scrapped from the walls of the uterus. This procedure is also used to carry out tests for any abnormalities in the fetus which could be the cause of miscarriage. D&C is popularly used to determine the cause of miscarriage in women who have lost multiple pregnancies.
Do not rush into trying to conceive immediately after the miscarriage. You must wait for a couple of months before trying to conceive again. This will give the body time to heal and prepare for the next conception. However, your doctor is your best guide. In some cases the doctor will advice you not to get pregnant for the next six months. You must follow your doctor’s suggestions at all times if you wish to be successfully pregnant. Some women might bleed for 10-14 days after chemical pregnancy. This is perfectly normal and shouldn’t be a cause of concern. One must not use tampons during this time or indulge in vaginal or anal sex.
Be positive when trying for your next pregnancy. You must be emotionally prepared for the pregnancy. Women who have experienced miscarriage are always anxious about their next pregnancy. This anxiety and fear should be removed from the minds. Instead concentrate all your energy in preparing for the pregnancy. Anxiety, stress and depression are unhealthy emotions and can prevent you from getting pregnant or having a healthy pregnancy.
Surround yourself with family and friends and make a strong support system for yourself. This support system will prepare you deal with your next pregnancy emotionally and physically. Do not get discouraged if you don’t conceive immediately upon trying. Conception takes time and is more successful when you learn to relax and enjoy the act that leads to conceiving instead of constantly worrying.