Split ends are also known as ‘trichoptilosis’. Women having long hair are likely to develop split ends if they do not care for their hair properly. Hair with split end can make your hair look dull and lifeless. In most cases, split ends are the result of the poor hair care, lack of nutrition, excessive use of hair care products having harsh chemicals like ethanol and alcohol, etc.
If you spend long hours in the intense heat of the sun, without providing adequate sun-protection to your hair and frequently undergo hair treatments like hair perms, etc. then you are likely to develop split ends. These are some other common factors that usually lead to the formation of split ends. If you are worried about the split ends that have developed at the ends of your hair, then you should get relaxed and read the easy ways to get rid of split ends that have been described below.
6 Easy Ways To Get Rid Of Split Ends
1) An easy way to get rid of split ends is to wash your hair every 2 or 3 days. Your hair requires natural oil to remain moisturized. If you wash your hair daily then it can strip the natural oil from your hair. You must be aware that hair has a protective layer made of cuticle, which prevents it against any kind of damage. But unfortunately, the tip of your hair strand is devoid of this protective layer and hence is at the risk of damage. So you must avoid washing your hair each day.
2) If your hair is very dry and brittle in nature then you must take care to wash it from the root to the tip. It will help in protecting your hair-ends from increasing the split ends further. Most women tend to rub their hair vigorously while shampooing. You should avoid doing so if you want to get rid of split ends. Instead, you should gently massage your scalp with shampoo and rinse it off with normal water. Also, avoid piling your hair on top of your head while shampooing.
3) A good-quality conditioner is essential for getting rid of split ends. Conditioning your hair should never be missed after each wash. You should try to use natural conditioners.
4) Split ends can be got rid of easily by minimizing the use of hair care products with harsh chemicals. Products like hair color, hair perms, dyes, relaxers, etc. are likely to contain traces of harsh chemicals. Chemicals have the ability to dry out and split the hair cuticles, causing damage and split ends. If you are fond of swimming then you must wash your hair with plain water after swimming in the ocean or a chlorinated pool as they contain salt and chlorine, which are known to cause damage to hair.
5) Adequate amount of nutrition is essential for keeping your hair healthy and free from split ends. Honey, olive, grape seed oil, castor oil, etc. are excellent for hair growth. Therefore, you should frequently nourish your hair with these natural ingredients to prevent split ends. You can try honey conditioning treatment to restore the overall health of your hair and stop the development of further split ends.
6) One of the easiest ways to get rid of split ends is to get your hair trimmed regularly.